On many occasions I have questioned the rationale behind charity and as I grew up I realised that the act itself was actually based on the individual. With age I came to better understand that just as unique as individuals are, charity and what qualifies as such is just as different and only specific to the persons (or groups) that are giving it.
Charity is the act of giving to the less privileged and because of this definition, many people feel it is fixed to just giving monetary or item donations to orphanages etc. Giving is so much more than this.
Giving is or can be any of the following:
- assisting to pay the fees of a child that you know is intelligent and should be given every single opportunity at education;
- finding out that a family is finding it difficult to survive and assisting with a means of livelihood or feeding in order to ensure that they continue to get by;
- as simple as helping someone across the road;
- walking into a random hospital to enquire on any patient that may be in need of help with their hospital bill;
- finding a food initiative and joining the food drive to prone areas to help in the distribution of food and other necessary items;
- finding a school around and offering to paint one or two class room or repair a damaged fixture;
- Giving ranges from the little gestures made up of your widows might to grand gestures of the glorious kind. The list is endless.
The important point is finding what YOU want to do as your form of charity/art of giving all the while bearing in mind the benefits of being a cheerful giver. Since I love quotes, here are a 10 quotes that summarize what the art of giving is as well as how far or how well one should go with it:
- “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give” – Winston Churchill
- “If You Get, Give, If You Learn, Teach” – Maya Angelou
- “Before giving, the mind of the giver is happy; while giving, the mind of the giver is made peaceful & having given the mind of the giver is uplifted” – Buddha
- The Law of Giving is very Simple
- If You want joy – Give Joy
- If Love is what you seek – Offer Love
- If You crave material affluence – Help others become prosperous – Deepak Chopra
- “When you master the art of giving, happiness you will discover that you cannot give it without getting it back” – #sayquotable
- “How do we expect our children to know and experience the joy of giving unless we teach them that the greater pleasure in life lies in the art of giving rather than receiving” – James Cash Penney
- “At the end of the day it is not about what you have or even what you have accomplished, it’s about who you have lifted up, who you have made better. It is about what you have given back” – Denzel Washington
- “Let each one give as he proposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver” – 2nd Corinthians 9 vs. 7
- “Giving back involves a certain amount of giving up” – Colin Powell
- “There are those who give with joy and that joy is their reward” – Khalil Gibran